Thursday, April 21, 2011

Quarterly Review: JAN-MAR

It is time for my Dividend Portfolio's first Quarterly Review of 2011.  This review will cover my portfolio's performance as well as dividend activity from January - March.  Additionally, this post marks my first quarterly review since the website 'DividendPartisan' was launched on January 10, 2011. 


The graph below highlights the dividend income I received for the first three months this year:


*Portfolio Performance: 2.58%
*Total Dividend Income for Jan-Mar: $300.38
*Average Dividend Income per Month: $100.13


Analysis
Pros: The amount I received was in line with my expectations; no surprises.  
I am pleased that the income received each month was relatively similar in amount (around $100) as I am trying to develop a steady income stream throughout the year.   One final 'positive' - I expect my dividend income total to significantly increase for the next Quarterly Review due to the following changes: several dividend increases, future additional purchases, and my purchase of CINF in mid-January was after the ex-div date.  

Cons: Portfolio performance was average in terms of capital appreciation (primarily due to ABT, JNJ, and PG).  As for dividend income, I need to average $500 every three months in order to achieve my
2011 Dividend Income Goal.  It will be difficult to recuperate the $200 that was missed in these first three months of 2011.

Conclusion: As for whether I am on pace for reaching my 2011 goal, it is still too early to tell.  Unless some significant unforeseeable event occurs, I am confident I will accomplish what I set out to do at the beginning of the year; however, at this point it is still somewhat uncertain.  My wife and I are taking a wonderful vacation to Mexico this summer that will require significant funding...so, we'll see!  One final note - The cool thing about dividend income, as we all know, is that it is passive...meaning I did not have to do anything and still received $300.38.  What a blessing.

I welcome any thoughts or comments.  Thanks for reading,


DivPartisan

9 comments:

  1. Like your process. I'm in a similar process myself, but have some lower yielding stocks. I hope that my dividend growth will help power my stocks up over the long term.

    I love to gauge myself by how much I make passively per month. Seems like there is along way until passive income meets expenses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MDT,

    Thanks for the comment. I too enjoy monitoring the growth and income received of my income portfolio. You are right though that it will take a very long time before passive income exceeds expenses. Here's to our pursuit,

    Keep in touch,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the great work Partisan! Although you are a little behind your goal, you are still pretty far ahead of me! I'm hopefully going to be nipping at your feet by the end of the year though! :)

    Have a great time in Me-he-co brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mantra,

    Thanks as always! I just sent you an email by the way..Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Any reason you have the goals increment by $1k each year ? Do you not re-invest dividends?
    Thanks
    Inq

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inq,

    Thanks for the comment! As for my goals, it is tough to add $1k a year in dividends isn't it?? At least for me it is. But yea, I do re-invest all dividends, so hopefully once I make a little more, etc. it should get easier. I'm only 25! :) Keep in touch,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I was wondering more on why $1k per year. May be you can think in lines of dividend in year 1 got me dining out, year 2 dine out and groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. INQ,

    Yea, sorry about that. I should have addressed your question a little better, I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote it.

    As for why the $1k increase each year, I calculate what equities total I will need based on my current portfolio yield I will need to reach the desired amount of annualized dividends. From there, I then determine how much I will have to contribute each month to reach it. Given my current income and expenses, contributions of about $1.5k a month really stretches me and results in about $1k of extra dividends a year.

    Let me know you got this; sorry about that again,

    DivPartisan

    ReplyDelete
  9. DivPartisan,
    Thanks for the explanation. Your approach sounds good to achieve your target. My question or rather suggestion was to think slightly different in terms of goals and the ultimate goal would be to have complete financial freedom.
    Thanks
    Inq

    ReplyDelete