Sunday, December 11, 2011

Recent Sell #2

 Continuing my effort to amass the necessary capital to fund my day trading strategy, I have sold once again.

This article will cover my recent sales of two more great dividend paying companies.  This time, the following two companies were placed on the dreaded chopping block:




Leggett and Platt (LEG): Leggett and Platt is a great dividend company that has been raising its dividends for 40 years and pays a 4.9% yield.  I sold for a decent gain and was thankful to have received four dividend checks as a shareholder.  Given its share price, future growth potential, and its relatively small size in my portfolio, at 5%, I targeted LEG as an appropriate selling opportunity, and have now placed the funds in my ‘day trading pot’.

PepsiCo (PEP): In the investing world, PepsiCo is synonymous with a big, blue-chip dividend stalwart.  It has been steadily raising distributions for 39 years now.  Those that need and rely on a steady income stream would do well to hold Pepsi stock.  That said, with only about 50 shares owned, it’s payouts (though reliable) were small and therefore nothing to be excited about.  Also, with Pepsi I saw very little capital gains, and felt these funds could be better appropriated elsewhere: again in my ‘day trading pot’.

With the sale of these two companies, the necessary capital to employ my day trading strategy is coming together, and I AM EXCITED.  Lord willing, I plan to blow my regular income of about $165 a month from dividends out of the water.

What do you think of these two companies?  What do you think of my decision to sell them??  I really would appreciate your comment, as some may think I have completely abandoned my strategy at this point. 

Expect the selling to continue, perhaps...

Here’s to our pursuit,

DividendPartisan

If you enjoy reading DividendPartisan, please consider subscribing to my Feed or exchanging links

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Solid companies. You might have scored some good capital gains on top of solid divvies. Both have been up and down fare more than S&P the past two years (PEP more down than up, actually). Possibly a good time to sell LEG. Coud make a living buying LEG on 3% dips off 30-day highs and selling when pull a 5% return and capturing 2-4 dividends per year...

    see what I mean here
    http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=LEG+Interactive#chart1:symbol=leg;range=2y;indicator=dividend+volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined

    too bad I don't buy/sell enough to cover the transaction costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Dickey,

    Thanks for the comment. They both were great companies...unfortunately for me they were only small positions in my portfolio and therefore I think I can do better by day trading these funds. I completely agree with you about pattern trading LEG. Have you considered a discount online broker to minimize your transaction costs?

    Take care,

    DivPartisan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was more saddened to see you sell SO. It has had a really great run, and is a great company. Oh well, how is your plan going?

    ReplyDelete