Monday, December 19, 2011

Recent Sell #4

“Another sale?” you may be asking?  “This guy has lost it,” you may be thinking. “He has completely abandoned his strategy,” you may claim.  BUT STAY WITH ME.  I do have a detailed plan in place, and will unfold all of the details if you just read on.  Though I have trimmed my positions, a more in depth look will reveal that I haven’t sold off that much of my portfolio ‘percentage-wise’ (which I’ll explain in greater detail later).

In this article, I will highlight the final sale that I recently made in order to fully fund my day trading strategy. 

Though some of you are probably more than skeptical at this point, I am hoping that when I release the results of my first month of day trading in my “December Monthly Progress Review” that you will, if nothing else, appreciate my attempt.  I intend to be completely open and honest with reporting my results of this new venture.  So, we’ll see how it goes!

Without further adieu, the following company was last on my list of targeted sales:

Walmart (WMT): Walmart is a great company that everyone has heard of and knows as a household name.  With around $421 billion dollars of revenue a year, simply put it is the largest company in the world.  Aside from that, however, it is also a great dividend play that has been raising distributions for 37 years and pays a nice 2.5% yield.  Fortunately for me I was able to buy in at around $52 and sold around $58.  This was another one of my smaller holdings, at 5% of my portfolio.

I expect WMT to be my last sale in the near term as I develop this new piece of my investment plan.  That said, however, I am keeping a close eye on General Electric (GE) and on Waste Management (WM) as potential sales as well.  I have broken the fear of selling (if that wasn’t obvious at this point) and will no longer settle for a consistent dividend with a less than stellar total return.  In fact, plainly said without trying to be arrogant, I am confident I can do better day trading.

What do you think of my decision to sell Walmart? Was it the right move? Or another mistake?

Thanks for reading,

DividendPartisan

If you enjoy reading DividendPartisan, please consider subscribing to my Feed or exchanging links

17 comments:

  1. Yeah, you're kinda freaking me out man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least use stop loss when you trade so you won't be completely blown out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's as if President Roosevelt has joined the Nazis. I can't believe your changing sides like that. However, I do wish you good luck. Hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a more serious note, what is the strategy??

    Do you plan on trading in and out of stocks on the same day? or are you going to be holding stocks for a couple days? couple weeks? or months? I am very curious to know what your thought process on your day trading will be?

    Do you plan on selling once you have made a certain amount? say 5% or 10% ??

    How are you doing to pick your stocks? value investing? technical analysis?

    Please elaborate on your strategy. I am very curious.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Man.

    You're kind of missing the point on dividend investing. Agreed, it's not real sexy the first 5-10 years, but after that when the drips and dividend start to increase, it's going to be a lot of fun.

    I've known quite a few people who have tried their hand at day trading, hope it works out for you, but if it doesn't, come back to the consistent steady pay outs.

    Like anonymous stated above, what's your strategy? That you were unaware of the 15min avg yet trying to get into day trading is a little concerning to me personally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am curious also not just about the strategy but also the buys and sells. I have no idea about day trading, so Im going to follow your blog and see what happens...I do wish you the best of luck. If it means anything, I have no idea what the 15min chart is either lol, but I am happy with my dividend stocks still. Otoh, if someone has an extra 5 or 10k lying around I see no reason not to risk it if it isnt going to harm them long term, and if they feel as if they have a good plan...but the key is not to get in too deep I would imagine

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Own Advisor,

    Sorry for the freak out! Don't you think it is a valuable piece to one's overall strategy??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Henry,

    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Limit orders definitely help!

    DP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous,

    I think you are kind of overreacting. :) I am not abandoning my strategy by any means. I am simply adding a new piece!

    Plus, I am only 26. To suggest that I should be invested 100% in safe, blue-chip companies is kind of risk averse, wouldn't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous,

    I have been thinking about how in depth I should share my plan on the site. With all of the negativity I have received, I think I'll keep it close-hold (at least for now). Many people are skeptical..

    Take care,

    DivPartisan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Greenshanks,

    I tend to agree and would enjoy talking to you more. I've made four trades thus far..send me an email if you'd like. Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Plus, I am only 26. To suggest that I should be invested 100% in safe, blue-chip companies is kind of risk averse, wouldn't you think? "

    I do agree with this statement, what are the %'s you plan to keep? (80% divi, 20% day trade, etc?). I'm 35, and keep around the above breakdown (the 20% I do capital gains plays and some margin borrowing).

    I think you if you'd actually explain here what your day trading strategy is, some of the more skeptical people might be a little easier on you to be honest. Put it out here what you're doing and see what they have to say. Just my two cents,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Addict,

    Thanks for the comment. I think I'll only keep my largest 6 or 7 dividend holdings...they have large payouts and are easy to manage.

    I think I'll keep my day trading plan quiet, but I appreciate your advice. I'm sure it's similar to your capital gains plays and margining.

    Keep in touch,

    DivPartisan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Div Partisan,

    After reading the comments above, I wouldn't say people comments are negative but would agree that you are getting some skepticism. I do think though the main reason for the skepticism is because most people who check your website routinely and make the comments are "dividend investors." I think you tried to and succeeded at attracting dividend investors to follow your website. This day trading stuff is completely new to them and they are probably shocked. You may even start to attract a new base of followers now. I do agree though with the comments above about laying out the plan. It may end up helping 1 or 2 of your followers. Just my opinion, after all it is your blog, you can do what ever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous,

    Thanks for the comment; I do appreciate it, and agree. Some of the more negative comments like nothing but "you'll lose your ass at this.." I have simply deleted from the site.

    Finally, I do want those who routinely check the site to know that I still love dividend investing and plan to make that the primary focus of DividendPartisan; however, as you know I have just started this strategy and want to display my choices as it gets going. In the future as I've said, I will report my earnings (or loss) in my "Monthly Progress Reviews" and that will probably be the extent of my active trading announcements (for now).

    Take care,

    DividendPartisan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Obviously, you are selling good dividend picks for a new strategy ... Day trading is not for me but if it works for you, then all the best.

    How do you track your performance to assess that you are indeed doing better? Did you extrapolate over time to see where you land?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. DP,

    I think the negative comments are not spiteful, but rather a showing of genuine concern that you might striking out on a riskier strategy. I wouldn't get your feathers ruffled about it. At your age you can take on more risk, and as you know more risk can lead to greater reward. Keep your stops tight and good luck!

    DPS

    ReplyDelete